Upgrade Your Temperature-Measuring Game with the Best Infrared Thermometers from Wirecutter
As a handyman, you know the importance of having reliable tools in your kit. And when it comes to accurately measuring temperature, an infrared thermometer should be at the top of your list. But with so many models on the market, how do you choose the best one?
Lucky for you, Wirecutter has done the research and testing for you. In this article, we’ll introduce you to infrared thermometers and their various uses, review the top models as determined by Wirecutter, discuss key factors to consider when choosing an infrared thermometer, and provide tips for effectively using one.
So if you’re ready to upgrade your temperature-measuring game, keep reading to learn about the best infrared thermometers on the market.
An Introduction to Infrared Thermometers and Their Uses
If you’re a handyman who is always fixing things around the house, then you certainly know how important it is to have the right tools at your disposal. And if there’s one tool that every handyman should own, it’s an infrared thermometer.
This innovative device uses a laser beam to measure the temperature of objects and surfaces from a distance. With its accurate readings and easy-to-use interface, an infrared thermometer can help you troubleshoot problems with your HVAC system or diagnose potential issues with your home appliances.
For instance, if you notice that your refrigerator isn’t cooling properly, simply aim the infrared thermometer at different parts of the appliance to identify where heat may be escaping. Similarly, if your air conditioning unit isn’t functioning as expected during hot summer months – use this best infrared thermometer wirecutter for measuring temperatures in various parts of AC unit such as compressor inlet/outlet or evaporator coil outlet/inlet It can tell which part needs repair/replacement
In addition to being useful for household repairs and maintenance tasks Infrared thermometers also have industrial applications such as identifying overheated machinery components in manufacturing plants or finding leaks in pipelines conducting steam/heat.
So whether you’re working on DIY projects around the house or troubleshooting complex mechanical systems on an industrial scale , having an Infrared Thermometer has become essential tool in everyone’s toolbox!
The top infrared thermometer models reviewed by Wirecutter
As a handy man, you know the importance of having reliable tools in your arsenal. And when it comes to measuring temperatures, an infrared thermometer can be one of the most versatile and useful tools you own. That’s why we’ve reviewed some of the top models available according to Wirecutter.
First on our list is the Fluke 62 Max Plus Infrared Thermometer. This model is known for its accuracy and durability, making it a great choice for professionals as well as DIY enthusiasts like yourself. With a wide temperature range and easy-to-read display, this thermometer will quickly become one of your go-to tools.
Another top contender is the Etekcity Lasergrip 774 Non-contact Digital Laser Infrared Thermometer. This budget-friendly option still packs a punch with its fast response time and user-friendly design. It also includes helpful features like adjustable emissivity settings for more accurate readings on different surfaces.
For those who need even greater precision in their temperature measurements, we recommend checking out the Flir One Pro LT Thermal Imaging Camera Attachment for Smartphones. While it may be pricier than other options on our list, this attachment allows you to see thermal images directly from your smartphone screen – giving you more detailed information about hot spots or cold drafts that could indicate problems with insulation or HVAC systems.
No matter which model you choose from these top-rated infrared thermometers reviewed by Wirecutter , having this tool at your disposal will make any project easier and more efficient – saving both time and money in the long run!
Factors to consider when choosing an Infrared Thermometer
When it comes to choosing the best infrared thermometer for your needs, there are several factors to consider. As a handyman who is skilled at fixing things, you understand the importance of having reliable tools in your arsenal. Here are some key considerations to keep in mind when selecting an infrared thermometer:
1. Temperature range: Make sure the thermometer can measure temperatures within your desired range. Some models may have a limited temperature range that may not be suitable for certain applications.
2. Accuracy: Look for thermometers with high accuracy ratings as even slight inaccuracies can lead to incorrect readings and potentially dangerous situations.
3. Distance-to-spot ratio (D:S): This ratio indicates how far away from an object you need to be in order to obtain an accurate reading from the device’s sensor area.
4. Emissivity settings: The emissivity setting refers to how well a surface reflects or emits thermal radiation; different surfaces require specific emissivity settings so ensure that they match up with what you will be measuring.
5 .Durability and build quality: Choose models made with sturdy materials such as metal casing or rubberized grips capable of handling wear-and-tear over time
By taking into account these important factors before purchasing an infrared thermometer, you’ll ensure better results and more efficient use on all levels of projects – big or small!
Tips for using an Infrared Thermometer effectively
If you’re a handyman who likes to fix things around the house, an infrared thermometer is an essential tool to have in your arsenal. But how can you make sure you’re using it effectively? Here are some tips:
1. Understand what the thermometer measures: Infrared thermometers measure surface temperature, not internal temperature. Keep this in mind when taking readings.
2. Know your target distance: Every infrared thermometer has a specific target distance at which it should be used for accurate readings. Make sure you know what that distance is and use it consistently.
3. Check for emissivity settings: Different surfaces have different emissivity values, which affect the accuracy of infrared thermometers’ readings on those surfaces. Some models allow users to adjust for emissivity; check if yours does and set accordingly.
4. Avoid extreme temperatures or air currents: Using an infrared thermometer in direct sunlight or near drafts can impact its accuracy due to thermal gradients created by these factors.
5. Take multiple measurements: To ensure accuracy, take several measurements of each spot before averaging them out as your final reading.
By following these tips and maximizing the effectiveness of your best-infrared-thermometer wirecutter purchase, you’ll be able to tackle any DIY project with confidence!
Conclusion and final recommendations for the best infrared thermometer
In conclusion, choosing the best infrared thermometer for your needs can make all the difference in accurately measuring temperatures and diagnosing issues with appliances or machinery. Based on our research and analysis, we recommend investing in a high-quality model such as the Etekcity Lasergrip 1022D or Fluke 62 Max Plus.
When using an infrared thermometer, it is important to follow proper operating procedures to ensure accurate readings. Be sure to calibrate your device regularly and use it at an appropriate distance from the target surface. Additionally, always check for any obstructions that may affect measurements.
As a handyman who values precision and efficiency in their work, incorporating an infrared thermometer into your toolkit can save time and money by quickly identifying temperature-related issues before they become bigger problems. So why wait? Invest in one of our recommended models today and take your DIY game to new heights!
All in all, infrared thermometers are a great tool for taking accurate temperature readings quickly and efficiently. With the right model, you can get the job done accurately while staying safe from potential dangers. Taking into consideration Wirecutter’s top picks and our tips on choosing an infrared thermometer with features that fit your own needs as well as properly using it to ensure accuracy should point you towards selecting the best one for yourself! So go ahead and make sure you get yourself an accurate infrared thermometer today!